Why become a B’Nai Shalom v’Tikvah (BSVT) member?
All shabbat services and the second day of Rosh Hashanah service are free for everyone and there is no requirement to be a member to attend. However, there are several reasons to consider membership as outlined below.
- High holiday tickets for all family members
- Shul staff and board members available for officiating and helping organize weddings and b’nai mitzvahs
- Help grieving families organize burials and conduct shivas
- Ability to purchase a plot in the BSVT consecrated section of Pine Ridge Cemetery
- A religious school for children aged five through thirteen featuring online lessons, in class activities and worship opportunities (with a student teacher program for secondary aged students)
- Access to the community mikvah of Greater Toronto, sponsored by Reform and Conservative congregations in the GTA
- Conversion services arranged for families where a non-Jewish member wants to convert to Judaism. This includes children of non-Jewish mothers
- Mezzuzahs in motion, where BSVT board members help put up mezzuzhas on member homes
- Very low membership fees. It should also be noted that as an agreement between the reform synagogues in Canada, a member of any reform shul can attend services at another reform shul free of charge. As well no person will ever be refused membership because of inability to pay.
- Special events such as a Hannukah party and Purim party along with many other events and special services throughout the year.
BSVT is a non-profit organization and all money is used to pay for services, building rental and other overhead. All board members are volunteers including the President and Treasurer.
As a member of the Canadian Council of Reform Judaism and the Union of Reform Judaism, B’Nai Shalom v’Tikvah supports a number of progressive initiatives in North America and Israel. In addition, children and adults can access many benefits: Jewish summer camps in Canada, the U.S.A. and Israel; opportunities for learning for high school and post-secondary students in Israel, on-line learning opportunities for adults and so much more.
If you are new to BSVT and would like to check us out, please email us at: and someone will get back to you regarding service dates (including virtual zoom services during covid-19). Your first time attending High Holiday services is also free of charge. We just want you to check us out.
Our congregation believes that we offer a truly welcoming community and we would be pleased to assist by providing any further information. We extend our welcome by offering complimentary first attendance to our High Holiday services.
You can contact B’Nai Shalom v’Tikvah at email@example.com or by telephone at (905) 428-2580
Here is a link to the membership form for the 5780 Hebrew calendar year including more details on what BSVT has to offer and a welcome letter from the President and Rabbi.
CONNIE HARVEY SCHOLARSHIP FUND
In memory of one of our founding members, the Connie Harvey Scholarship Fund has been established to annually:
- Recognize Jewish scholastic achievement and ,
- Award a subsidy, made available t a successful candidate.